Monday 26 March 2012

Bags of fun...


Now I love Cath Kidston bags and fabric designs but I just couldn't justify the hefty price tag for my favourite Print day bag.  I was also amazed that on closer inspection, there were no handy pockets inside - one zipped internal pocket but no mobile phone pocket!  I mean, please!...who wants to be scrabbling around inside a cavernous bag with tons of mummy clutter and totally random things inside, just to have the phone stop ringing the moment your fingers close on the little bugger!


So when I saw this imitation style floral oilcloth bag at a recent craft fair, I couldn't part with my cash fast enough, especially when I found a zipped pocket and not one but two suitable pockets for phone, pens, nail file, etc....


However, after using it a couple of times, I soon discovered that the nasty nylon lining was not user friendly and the mobile pocket was a bit skimpy now all these large touch screen phones are in vogue.   So, cue me and a pair of scissors for a bit of minor surgery...




As I already had a bundle of Cath Kidston fabric, I measured up the bag and cut the fabric for two sides, a gusset and not one , not two but three pockets!!!  And I even made the phone pocket to the exact optimum size..




In under an hour, I had made the new lining, which was essentially two large rectangles as the sides, pockets placed to suit on each side and with one long strip sewn to 3 sides of each of these.  I pressed the top edge to the wrong side around the top and then hand sewed the new lining to the remaining scant edge of the old lining.  I was glad that I had left this as it was the simplest and neatest way in which to attach the new lining without having to go to the lengths of removing and replacing the zip.  I can imagine that oil cloth is a bit of a pain to work with and didn't want to give myself too much work.




As you can see, I now have a totally unique look a like bag that has the added plus of some genuine Cath Kidston fabric in it to boot.  Happy days!!






I can't think of a better way to while away a couple of hours on a sunny spring day while looking after a poorly 4 year old.  We were sharing the table with my (tiny) half with its sewing machine and Faye's (huge!) half covered in playdoh, cutters, rolling pin, etc.   


Now let's just hope that I don't find a chunk of playdoh and a cutter in my new bag.....















No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Fair Saturday 1 December

It seems to be the countdown to the big day starts earlier every year and as some one who has a November birthday, I've grown used to ...