Saturday 21 July 2012

Nelson the Elephant

For an imminent arrival of a family baby, I have made this unique soft toy, which has been temporarily named 'Nelson'.  (Inspired by the childrens programme 64 Zoo Lane.)


I used the pattern from one of my favourite books, 'Sew a Metre' . (Oh wow! on adding this link I have just made the fab discovery of a sequel!) If I can recommend one book for budding crafters it is this one.  As the name suggests, all the projects require one metre (or one yard as it is an American book) or usually less (great for stash busting too) and covers a wide variety of projects, from bags, skirts for kids, toys, home decor.  Instructions are clear and precise and although requiring some sewing knowledge, I think it is a great book for beginners as well as more experienced sewists.  As the projects are all fairly small scale, they are fairly quick and are a great way of practising techniques and skills.



This is baby elephant from the book and although a little fiddly, if you take your time the end result is superb.   I think he will look great in the nursery and will alsop be safe enough for young ones to play with.  With this is mind, I purposefully made French knots for the eys as opposed to buttons, purely for safety.  I am especially proud of the knots as previously have had no success with them - they both came out perfectly and I fully expected to have to turn him into a winking elephant!  I can't offer any advice as I simply don't know how I achieved them!!


I used some blue fabric from my stash (baby is a boy!) and chose to use a few scraps of elephant print cotton to make the linings for the ears - think this adds a quirky touch. 

Here's hoping that the new owner loves him...If you too want to send one to a loved one or eagerly awaited arrival, please email fuzzyfingers@btinternet.com or inbox me on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Fair Saturday 1 December

It seems to be the countdown to the big day starts earlier every year and as some one who has a November birthday, I've grown used to ...